I want to make a complaint.  What do I do?

Call, email or drop by our office.  A staff person at the Commission will listen to you.  The staff person will tell you if our human rights law covers your situation.  The staff person will explain the steps of a complaint. Then you can decide if you want to go ahead with your complaint.

Is there a time limit for making a complaint?

Yes. Complainants must make a complaint to the Commission within 18 months of when the discrimination happened. The Commission may extend the time limit in certain cases, if the delay was in good faith and does not prejudice you or others involved.

How much does it cost?

There is no charge for any service the Commission provides to you.

How long does it take?

Some complaints are resolved very quickly with the Commission’s help in a few weeks or months depending on the existing workload of the Commission, the availability of information and witnesses, and the amount of information needed. However, the process can take up to two years or more, especially if a full investigation and public hearing are involved. But in some circumstances, the Commission can speed up handling the complaint. You can ask the staff about this possibility.

Can the Commission investigate any type of complaint?

The Commission can only investigate complaints dealing with discrimination as defined in the Yukon Human Rights Act

There are some kinds of complaints that the Commission cannot investigate:

Complaints of discrimination that fall outside the power of our Commission because they involve:

  • federal government services or employers,
  • inter-provincial businesses such as trucking companies as well as airlines, telecommunications, banks and other federally regulated activities.
Power to deal with human rights involving aboriginal governments and organizations, depending on the circumstances, can be the responsibility of the federal Commission. Call us to find out more.

“Frivolous or Vexatious” Complaints: The Commission cannot investigate complaints that are clearly without substance or are intended merely to cause harm to another person.

More Questions? Don't hesitate call, email or drop by our office.  Or, check out our Know Your Rights Booklet.