Making a Complaint

What you can do if you believe you have been discriminated against?

Contact the Commission by coming to our office, emailing or calling our Helpline to inquire about your concern.  All inquiries are confidential.

Discuss your complaint with an intake officer to determine the protected area and grounds of the complaint.  If the matter is outside our jurisdiction, we may refer you to another agency.

Anyone may make a complaint.  

The Yukon Human Rights Commission assists both the complainant and the respondent and makes every effort to help settle complaints.

What is discrimination?

Discrimination is harassing or treating a person or a group of people unfavourably (unequally or unfairly) or not allowing a person access to services, housing, or employment or other opportunities based on a protected ground (personal characteristic) covered by the Yukon Human Rights Act.

What is harassment?

Harassment is a form of discrimination. It involves any unwanted physical or verbal behaviour that offends or humiliates you. Generally, harassment is a behaviour that persists over time. Serious one-time incidents can also sometimes be considered harassment.

Harassment occurs when someone:

  • makes unwelcome remarks or jokes about your race, religion, sex, age, disability or any other of the grounds of discrimination. 
  • threatens or intimidates you. 
  • makes unwelcome physical contact with you, such as touching, patting, pinching or punching, which can also be considered assault.

Employers, service providers and landlords are responsible for providing an environment or service that is free of harassment. It is the employer’s, service provider's and landlord's responsibility to take action when harassment occurs.

Criteria to Make a Complaint

  1. Is there sufficient information, i.e., was there unfavourable treatment based on a protected ground within a protected area?
  2. Did the incident happen within the last 18 months and did it take place in Yukon?
  3. Has it been, or could it be, dealt with through another avenue?
  4. Is it within the jurisdiction of the Yukon Human Rights Act or, for example, is it within the jurisdiction of the Canadian Human Rights Act?

To learn more about the types of complaints accepted by the Commission, check out our Know Your Rights Booklet.